Monday, June 15, 2009

Bonnaroo "Training"

This past weekend was my first Bonnaroo experience. For those of you who may not know what the Roo is... well, it's a festival that more than triples this small town's population for 4 days and brings huge music groups to the middle of nowhere. I LOVED LOVED LOVED the entire 4 days. My personal favorite was Buffet. This country girl is a beach bum at heart and he has a gift for making me feel as if sand is between my toes and an ocean breeze is on my face. He played a "surprise" gig, in that he wasn't on the schedule and they announced his performance a week or so ago. Seriously, the absolute highlight of my Roo weekend. Other acts I saw and enjoyed were Snoop Dog (seriously, a great show... what I could see through the haze ;)), Wilco (I didn't know any of their songs, but really liked what they played. In fact, that's who Pandora is playing for me right now.), Public Enemy (Flave-a-Flave!), Merle Haggard, Phish, Bela Fleck, Springsteen, & the Beastie Boys.

My friend and neighbor, Michelle, and I worked in a lemonade & pretzel stand for our tickets. We had so much fun people watching and talking to our customers. Our stand was in the middle of the Other Tent's field. The main acts there were African and Bluegrass. It was great listening to such different music and jamming along to the steel drums. We definitely met some interesting people with interesting "accessories" and stories! We had offers for things other than to pay $4 for a lemonade and learned a lot about people from all over the world; even as far away as Japan. It took that guy 70 hours to get here!

One funny story about a customer: this guy asked for extra sugar in his lemonade. It's already mixed and comes from a huge barrel. All we did was squeeze a lemon and add ice to make it look pretty. So I squeezed and mixed his up, he takes a sip and hands it back to me to "add some more sugar". Sure, buddy, whatever you want... @ the same time I am making change for someone else I take his cup, put it down under the counter, pick it back up and swirl it around and hand it back to him w/ his "extra" sugar. He takes another sip, his eyes get really big and he says, "Yeah, just like I like it!" Then throws a tip in the jar and bee-bops off. Hilarious! Perception is reality, huh? :)

The Roo was an absolute BLAST; I can't believe I waited so long to go, but am SOOOO glad I did! Thanks, Andy, Sheryl and the CHS Soccer booth for our ticket in. We will SO be there next year. Til then, this chic is back to reality... Kisses, hugs, dirty feet and playing hard w/ my babies, tri training and trying to organize this house. Loving life and looking forward to our next adventure!

No comments: